Tuesday, April 1, 2008

April is Autism Awareness Month


For those not affected by autism, April is National Autism Awareness Month. Sadly this disorder is the fastest growing disability in the US. The CDC estimates that autism occurrs at 1 in every 150 births. For boys the rate is 1 in every 90 births.
I have a child with autism. Some days are easy, very easy. But then there are days when I wonder how I will get through the day. Luckily those days are not as often as they were before, but they still pop up here and there. Life is never dull. It can go from ordinary to insane in the blink of an eye!
If you are interested in helping donate money for autism research or supporting autism events, please check out the events calendar at Autism Speaks. They are hosting events coast to coast to raise money for research. These events are being held in the US, Canada, and UK.
If you are in a city that is hosting a walk, I would love to see photos of the event!!!
Clip art on my blog today is from:

1 comment:

USelaine said...

Wow, Jana. Thank you for sharing this. I had no idea of the frequency of autism.

Your photography of Susanville is beautiful. Thank you for dropping by my territory as well. Take care.

Elaine